The Bowl Headed

Fashion + Imagery

Follow

December 16, 2014

Colonial Past

 model: Niesa Luib
Ok! As promised I am sharing to you guys the piece I just made from a fashion show that just happened last week. I am kicking off my design portfolio with this look, I don't exactly know what to say as this is a first so be it whatever is being said here.

The whole theme of the show was Spanish Colonial, basically all designs has to be based during the Spanish time in the Philippines. Traje De Mestizas, were the most prominent feature during the period, with exaggerated panuelos and sleeves to complete the whole costume. The idea I had was to simplify the intricate detailing the Traje De Mestiza had, make it youthful, and of course modern, as it was after all the goal of the show. I wanted to create a piece that shows the juxtaposition of the clothes worn during that time and how they could have been worn today. Just the strong contrast between the demure clothes before and the liberal ladies of today is what inspired me to create such piece. Instantaneously, I wanted to reverse the the top and create a now backless "baro" and exaggerate the sleeves even more to have the Mestiza appeal. Moreover, I wanted a sexy and modern Filipina that's why I opted for a sheer-sided skirt with leatherette in the middle to cover the areas to be covered. To add more "modernness" to this look, I decided to let her wear an undergarment the unconventional way. Made a bra from scratch, with tulle, bias tape and leatherette with lace appliques and chain detailing. I am immensely proud of myself for having been able to construct what I had in mind despite the time crunch. It wasn't as perfect as how I wanted it to be, but it's definitely what I envisioned it to be.
SHARE:

2 comments

© The Bowl Headed | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig